Friday, March 23, 2007

F.E.A.R.

I am having a great time discovering all my PC games again now that I ponied up and bought a decent video card. With my old viseo card Half-Life 2 and World of Warcraft always ran pretty well but I had to adjust Oblivion and F.E.A.R. down to 640x480 with all the pretty settings turned down to get any sort of decent frame rate.

This may sound cliché but playing a PC game the way developers intended is really the only way to go. It is truly a different experience. Playing some of these games has more in common with watching a movie than playing OG Super Mario Bros. While Mario was a ton of fun there was no doubt that you were playing a game that existed outside of yourself. The immersive experience of playing F.E.A.R. has the same hypnotic qualities of going to a movie. I find myself playing the same section of the game over and over just to see what it looks like to kill people from different angles and with different weapons. It's like watching the Matrix lobby scene but choosing to have Neo bust through the metal detector with a bucket full of grenades instead of a coat full of guns.

No comments: